Sunday, June 12, 2011

So where has the music I love gone?

Well, I'm not going to hide it, not gonna run from it.  In fact, I am going to stand up and be proud of it.  I love the pop music from the 80s!  Huey Lewis and the News, the Go-Gos, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Toto, Tears for Fears, the Cars, Journey, the Bangles, INXS, Howard Jones, Richard Marx, Duran Duran (my wife's favorite band), Men at Work and Christopher Cross to name a very few are bands that were fun to listen to but it seems that in an era of get out new records (yes I said records and will talk about that in another post) and CDs that the music has suffered.  Now I am not going to say that there hasn't been any good music since the 80s.  That would be assinine to even suggest but in my opinion music has for the most part been watered down.  I think that there are some great pop artists out there now, Jason Mraz, Freshlyground (they will get their own blog post later), Bruno Mars, the Plain White T's and Sara Bareilles are a few current artists that I really like and think are pop.  But it seems like the pop genre is or has died.  To me pop music is for the most part non political, doesn't pick a side in social issues of if it does it is an issue that when you see it it is obvious what the right point is.  It also has really good musicianship, the song writing is outstanding and the performers are so good that you just can't wait to see them perform live.  To me that is pop music.  Not degrading any one person, group or segment of society.  I mean when I listen to Toto's Make Believe I don't think of calling a woman a "ho" or when I listen to Tears for Fears Everybody Wants to Rule the World I don't think about shooting a police officer.  When I hear Lionel Richie sing about Dancing On the Ceiling I don't think of smoking crack and getting fall down drunk.  Maybe it is just old man in me but it just seems to me that our societal ills can be traced back to the very music that the music industry says has no influence on.  Really?  Bob Dylan, Crosby Stills and Nash, Richie Havens, Joan Baez, County Joe and the Fish and other popular 70s anti war artists helped to bring an end to the Vietnam war.  Music doesn't influence popular culture?  I mean Really?  Well, pop music to me isn't Lady Gaga (I honestly have no idea what she is),  Adele, Katy Perry, New Boyz, Cee Lo Green, Kenny Chesney, Lil Wayne or the Black Eyed Peas.  They all have their genres but they aren't pop music to me.  Certainly not the type of pop music that I enjoyed when I was a kid and definitely not the kind I listen to now.  Truth be told, radio lost me years ago, thank heavens for Napster and their music service (that will probably be its own blog post later too).

So, while it may seem like a long winded ramble and diatribe against everything that some may find popular now, it is MY long winded ramble and diatribe.  I don't care what you may think about it.  Like it or not, they are my opinions.  Anyway, I intend to always offer a playlist for every post and so below is my playlist for this one.  Thanks for taking a minute to read this and well, listen to good music, not the stuff record labels and radio programmers tell you is good stuff.  Explore for yourself and find bands that inspire you.

Huey Lewis & the News - Do You Believe In Love
Hall & Oates - Out of Touch
Toto - Make Believe
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
the Cars - Drive
Lionel Richie - Dancing on the Ceiling
Men at Work - Down Under
the Bangles - Manic Monday
Christopher Cross - Ride Like the Wind
Howard Jones - Life in One Day
INXS - What You Need
Duran Duran - Rio
Rod Steward - Love Touch
Kenny Loggins - Don't Fight It
Michael McDonald - Sweet Freedom
Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al
Squeeze - Tempted
the Pretenders - Brass In Pocket

No comments:

Post a Comment